||Love sport? Achieving a high grade in Science? Then GCSE PE may well be for you! This course is made up of both theoretical and practical elements, and it is far more than just kicking, throwing and jumping!
A keen interest in the theoretical side of physical education is required, as with the new specification more emphasis is placed on the theoretical aspects than the practical.
|Why study GCSE PE?
- Further Education (Teacher, Coach, Lecturer, Research)
- Sports Industry (Sports Journalism, Marketing, Governing bodies)
- Health services (Physiotherapy, Nutritionist, Dietician)
- Leisure industry (Personal trainer, Fitness instructor)
- To build a knowledge and understanding of the body that promotes lifelong engagement in physical activity and a healthy lifestyle.
|Exam Board and Specification
||OCR GCSE PE 9-1 Specification
|Key areas of content
|| Physical factors affecting performance:
- Applied anatomy and physiology; skeletal system,, muscular system, cardiovascular system, respiratory system, short and long term effects of exercise.
- Physical training; SMART goal setting, methods of training, fitness testing, components of fitness.
Socio-cultural issues and sports psychology:
- Socio-cultural influences; reasons for participation, trends in participation.
- Sports psychology; mental preparation, types of guidance.
- Health, fitness and well-being; components of a balanced diet, health benefits for taking part in physical activity.
Performance in physical education:
- Performance in three practical activities.
- Analysing and evaluating performance (coursework).
||Specification from Sept 2017 delivery:
- Physical factors affecting performance – 30% of total grade – 1 hour exam – 60 marks
- Socio-cultural issues and sports psychology – 30 % of total grade – 1 hour exam – 60 marks
- Practical activity assessment – 30% of total grade – performance in three practical activities
- Analysing and evaluating performance – 10% of total grade – internally assessed controlled assessment (coursework).
|Textbooks, websites and other relevant material
|Any other information
||This is a highly scientific course that will require a sound understanding of scientific concepts. Before selecting as a preference, it is wise to decide whether your science grade will give you a sound platform to be successful in the exam, as well as the coursework piece.